Call to action – write to your MP!
December 1, 2021. OTTAWA, ON Thirty years ago, on December 1, 1991 in a referendum, over 90% of the Ukrainian people voted in support of Ukraine’s independence. The next day, Canada became the first western country to recognize Ukraine’s independence. Today, Ukraine’s independence is under threat from Russia’s aggression.
“On this important anniversary of the day the Ukrainian people overwhelmingly confirmed their right to independence and statehood, it is vital that Canada and allies to increase support to Ukraine,” stated Ihor Michalchyshyn, UCC CEO. “The Russian regime responds only to strength, and Canada and allies must respond with unity and resolve to Russia’s increasing threats against Ukraine.”
For eight years, Russia has waged war on Ukraine, seeking to destroy Ukrainian statehood and the Ukrainian peoples’ right to choose their own common destiny. In the last weeks, Russian military movements have increased, raising serious concerns of a possible further Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) calls on Canada and NATO allies to:
- Accelerate a NATO Membership Action Plan for Ukraine, in keeping with NATO’s Open Door Policy and Ukraine’s strategic decision to become a member of the Alliance;
- Significantly increase sanctions on Russia to deter further aggression against Ukraine, including the removal of Russia from the SWIFT international payments system;
- Ensure that the Nord Stream II pipeline connecting Russia and Germany does not become operational;
- Increase the provision of military equipment and defensive weapons to support Ukraine’s defence of its people and territory;
- Announce the renewal and expansion of Operation UNIFIER, Canada’s military training mission in Ukraine, which is currently scheduled through March 2022;
Call to Action: How you can make a difference
Write to your Member of Parliament to express your support for the UCC’s policy proposals. The UCC has provided a template letter you can send to your MP (by email or physical – which does not require a stamp). Please find the template letter here December.01.2021.Template letter to MPs
You can find the contacts for your Member of Parliament’s office here