UCC Fund Development Manager on Planned Giving
Recently, I had the pleasure to participate in the Estate Planning Seminar organized by the UCU Wealth Strategies Group. I would like to extend a special thank you to the UCU’s Yuriy Diakunchak (UCC’s donor) for giving me the opportunity to speak about planned giving. As well, I would like to express my gratitude to Roman Mlynko, Steven Lebed and Markian Silecky for sharing the stage with me.
The interest in planned giving and its benefits for estate taxes was amazing! I was truly inspired by the phone calls I received from donors asking about this tax effective gift planning.
So, what is planned giving?
Planned giving is essentially a bequest gift in your will that you have planned. This gift can substantially reduce the tax payable on your estate and/or avoid capital gains tax. Your estate can even claim a rebate against your previous year’s income when the net income in the year of your death is lower than the amount you left to a charity.
Here are some ways you can make planned gifts to the Ukrainian Canadian Congress that will result in greater tax benefits for you and enhance the impact your donation will make!
Bequest: Your bequest to the UCC may be one, or a combination, of the following:
- A percentage of your estate
- The residual of the estate
- A specific dollar amounts
- Real estate
- Stocks and securities
- Gifts-in-kind (UCC-National reserves the right to refuse gifts that are not of value or benefit to UCC.)
- Insurance policies and annuities
- Donations of retirement funds (RRSP, RIF and TFSA)
- Charitable Remainder Trust and Gifts of Residual Interest: arrange a trust for the UCC using cash, bonds, securities or personal property. You will receive a tax receipt today and can continue to benefit from the assets.
- Memorial Gift: ask your family and friends to donate to the UCC-National in your memory.
Endowments: a “forever gift” where the principal is invested to provide income and a modest rate of growth “in perpetuity” for the UCC.
Remember to consult your legal and/or financial advisor when planning your gifts.
Please note that when you are making a planned gift to the UCC you must include our proper name and the address (Ukrainian Canadian Congress-National, 203-952 Main St., Winnipeg, MB., R2W 3P4). It is also a good idea to provide our Charitable number that you or your lawyer can get by calling our office.
For more information visit our website planned giving, or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me at (416)-524-7665 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org